The original mountain barracks for Navy men dating from 1832. Sitting above the cloud line the barracks were often cold and damp. This led to the barracks being relocated to the Red Lion slightly further down the mountain and, importantly, below the cloud line.
By 1880 the barracks were being converted to a cattle shed, which they remained until the mountain farm's closure in the late 1990s.
A Royal Marines Light Infantry crest still adorns the top of the Barracks, and it has been suggested this likely represents the highest marine barracks in the world.