Ascension Island Government

Red Lion

Heritage Point



From surviving records it is assumed the building known as Red Lion was completed in 1863 and used as a mountain barracks for non-commissioned officers stationed there in support of the mountain farm.

It continued to house farm workers until the 1990s, at which point the mountain farm was permanently closed. It has since been renovated and the ground floor of the building serves as a display area, with the first floor housing a lecture theatre and classroom facility.